3 Values to Set Your Year off Right
Over the past several years I've discovered 3 magic values always at play within any given human interaction. From recording sessions, to business meetings, to time with family these 3 values surface consistently in my life. I pulled out my iPad the other day and sketched quickly what I like to think of as, "The 3 P's of Leadership."
The 3 P's are: People, Process, and Product. If you desire to lead yourself (and others) fruitfully you'll need to embrace all 3 values equally. Most of us naturally gravitate towards one of these 3 circles. If you can't see the polarization in yourself just look to someone you work with, are dating, or are married to.
- some naturally love people but loathe process and the bottom-line metrics of productivity.
- others love order, bending people and the design of a product to fit established processes.
- still others love producing, steamrolling people and process to gain a sense of accomplishment.
I am blessed with great friends, co workers, and family who love me enough to tell me when my leadership is fruitful or overly skewed in one of these areas.
What happens when these 3 values intersect each other perfectly?
- productivity is people-centered
- process serves people and the final product
- and people build something greater than themselves... together.